Dubai: Indian convicts` families informed of case
Dubai: The families of ten Indians, who have been found guilty of murdering a co-Indian worker after a drunken brawl here, have been apprised of the details of the case.
On January 4, all Indians were sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for periods varying from 10 years to life. Dubai-based hotelier and businessman S P Singh Oberoi, who has been pursuing the case of those facing trial, said 13 family members of the convicts have been briefed about the status of the cases.
The identity of the deceased, who belonged to Kerala, was not revealed.
"There are a total of 11 cases in which appeals are to be filed. For the moment we are satisfied with the meeting we had with family members and will take things step by step," Oberoi told reporters on the phone from Chandigarh.
Major Singh of Gurdaspur and Harpinder Singh of Batala have been awarded life imprisonment while eight of his accomplices have been handed over 15-years prison sentence. They are Sukhjit Singh, Rakesh Kumar, Sarabhjit Singh, Rashpal Singh, Manjit Singh, Balwinder Singh, Sukhwinder Singh
and Amarjit Singh.
Oberoi said families of these men were not even aware of their whereabouts till the case of 17 Indians convicted for the murder of a Pakistani man hit headlines early last year.
According to local reports, nine of these convicts along with three other Indians are also facing trial for the murder of two other Indian workers.
The 13th person charged with the murder of two Indian workers, who belonged to Kerala, is a Pakistani named Mohammed Rafat.
Speaking to reporters earlier, Oberoi said some of the charges against these men are of a very serious nature and taking the family into confidence was necessary to further their defence.
The men have been charged with conspiracy, causing murder by intention, hiding dead body after the crime, bootlegging and consuming liquor.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference