Dump baggage of untouchability in mindset: Meira Kumar
Chennai: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Sunday
said changing the old mindset and discarding the baggage of
"untouchability" and "caste discrimination" was needed to
build a truly egalitarian society.
Noting that laws on land reforms, abolition of
untouchability, prevention of atrocities and child labour were
not enough to transform the society, she said a change in the
mindset of people was a must to create social equality.
"People admire our country for our democracy and
particularly on how the economy has integrated..Despite the
global meltdown, we have maintained our growth. We have the
ability to perform but what should be changed is the mental
block," Kumar on her first visit to the State as Speaker said.
Pointing out that people had long been carrying the
baggage of an "unchanged mind", she said, "We are in the 21st
century and we should dump and bury the baggage. We should
start the new century with a new mindset."
She also pointed out that many developed nations also
had a mental block. "America had a mental block. But they have
got Obama and got over of it", she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’