Durga suspension row: BJP takes a dig at PM
New Delhi: The BJP on Saturday took a dig at the Prime Minister on the suspension of a UP IAS officer, with party chief Rajnath Singh saying Manmohan Singh should have acted without waiting for the letter from Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
"There was no need for a letter. She should have said it verbally also (to the Prime Minister)," he said. He also said the Prime Minister could have acted without waiting for the letter.
He was asked by reporters to respond to the letter by Gandhi to the Prime Minister asking him to ensure that suspended UP IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal is not treated unfairly.
Earlier, addressing a gathering at a cultural programme at his residence, the BJP leader demanded immediate revocation of the suspension of Nagpal, claiming the action against her has "hurt" the morale of honest officials.
He also demanded action against those who had approached Uttar Pradesh government for her suspension.
"People with vested interests got the officer suspended. The action by Uttar Pradesh government has hurt the morale of honest officials."
"I expect Uttar Pradesh government to revoke its order. Those who got her suspended should not be spared," Singh said.
A 2010 batch IAS officer, 28-year-old Nagpal had cracked down against sand mining mafia.
She was suspended on July 27 as Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Gautam Budh Nagar district for allegedly ordering demolition of a wall of a mosque on the ground that it could have triggered communal tension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what