Dutch govt agrees to assist in comprehensive plan for Yamuna
New Delhi: The Centre plans to create mega reservoirs by dredging the bed of the Yamuna for which the Dutch government has agreed to facilitate an action plan.
"To rejuvenate the river and meet the water requirements, a scheme has been worked out involving creation of mega reservoirs by dredging the bed of Yamuna, that will catch the water flow during monsoon on the flood planes itself," an official source said.
"Netherlands is a world leader in providing water transport and smart city solution. The Dutch government has agreed to assist it in drawing up a comprehensive action plan for rejuvenation of Delhi stretch of river Yamuna," said the source, adding that Dutch consultants are likely to commence the work soon.
The proposal involves construction of three mega reservoirs on the Yamuna - upstream of Wazirabad barrage, in river Hindon and at the confluence of two rivers.
"These reservoirs will be linked by a canal which will also serve as a flood water by-pass for Delhi. However, the scheme would require approvals and participation of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh governments. So in immediate terms, creation of reservoirs by dredging Yamuna within Delhi is proposed," the official source said.
The source added: "It would create a reservoir between Palla and Wazirabad barrages and another reservoir between existing barrages at Wazirabad and ITO. A total of 0.45 BCM of water can be stored this way. The depth of water of about 3 metres would be available which is sufficient for navigational purposes".
Last month, Gadkari has said possibilities were being explored for constructing navigational barrages in Delhi stretch of Yamuna to augment the flow of the river.
Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung had also discussed ways and means to launch the project for cleaning Yamuna river in coordination with different ministries including Road Transport, Highways and Shipping, Water Resources and Environment and Forest besides departments concerned of the Delhi government.
A special cell is also likely to be created in Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Ministry for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM