Dutch govt agrees to assist in comprehensive plan for Yamuna
New Delhi: The Centre plans to create mega reservoirs by dredging the bed of the Yamuna for which the Dutch government has agreed to facilitate an action plan.
"To rejuvenate the river and meet the water requirements, a scheme has been worked out involving creation of mega reservoirs by dredging the bed of Yamuna, that will catch the water flow during monsoon on the flood planes itself," an official source said.
"Netherlands is a world leader in providing water transport and smart city solution. The Dutch government has agreed to assist it in drawing up a comprehensive action plan for rejuvenation of Delhi stretch of river Yamuna," said the source, adding that Dutch consultants are likely to commence the work soon.
The proposal involves construction of three mega reservoirs on the Yamuna - upstream of Wazirabad barrage, in river Hindon and at the confluence of two rivers.
"These reservoirs will be linked by a canal which will also serve as a flood water by-pass for Delhi. However, the scheme would require approvals and participation of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh governments. So in immediate terms, creation of reservoirs by dredging Yamuna within Delhi is proposed," the official source said.
The source added: "It would create a reservoir between Palla and Wazirabad barrages and another reservoir between existing barrages at Wazirabad and ITO. A total of 0.45 BCM of water can be stored this way. The depth of water of about 3 metres would be available which is sufficient for navigational purposes".
Last month, Gadkari has said possibilities were being explored for constructing navigational barrages in Delhi stretch of Yamuna to augment the flow of the river.
Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung had also discussed ways and means to launch the project for cleaning Yamuna river in coordination with different ministries including Road Transport, Highways and Shipping, Water Resources and Environment and Forest besides departments concerned of the Delhi government.
A special cell is also likely to be created in Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Ministry for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details