Dutch govt agrees to assist in comprehensive plan for Yamuna
New Delhi: The Centre plans to create mega reservoirs by dredging the bed of the Yamuna for which the Dutch government has agreed to facilitate an action plan.
"To rejuvenate the river and meet the water requirements, a scheme has been worked out involving creation of mega reservoirs by dredging the bed of Yamuna, that will catch the water flow during monsoon on the flood planes itself," an official source said.
"Netherlands is a world leader in providing water transport and smart city solution. The Dutch government has agreed to assist it in drawing up a comprehensive action plan for rejuvenation of Delhi stretch of river Yamuna," said the source, adding that Dutch consultants are likely to commence the work soon.
The proposal involves construction of three mega reservoirs on the Yamuna - upstream of Wazirabad barrage, in river Hindon and at the confluence of two rivers.
"These reservoirs will be linked by a canal which will also serve as a flood water by-pass for Delhi. However, the scheme would require approvals and participation of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh governments. So in immediate terms, creation of reservoirs by dredging Yamuna within Delhi is proposed," the official source said.
The source added: "It would create a reservoir between Palla and Wazirabad barrages and another reservoir between existing barrages at Wazirabad and ITO. A total of 0.45 BCM of water can be stored this way. The depth of water of about 3 metres would be available which is sufficient for navigational purposes".
Last month, Gadkari has said possibilities were being explored for constructing navigational barrages in Delhi stretch of Yamuna to augment the flow of the river.
Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung had also discussed ways and means to launch the project for cleaning Yamuna river in coordination with different ministries including Road Transport, Highways and Shipping, Water Resources and Environment and Forest besides departments concerned of the Delhi government.
A special cell is also likely to be created in Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Ministry for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!