`Dutt sympathisers should not interfere with court sentence`
New Delhi: RSS mouthpiece Organiser on Saturday batted for Malegaon blast accused Pragya Thakur, Lt Col Srikant Purohit and Swami Aseemanand, saying they are languishing in jail without their guilt being proven while there is a chorus for pardoning actor Sanjay Dutt.
In the editorial of its latest edition, Organiser said Congress leader Digvijay Singh, actor-turned politicians Jaya Bachchan and Jayaprada as well as former SP leader Amar Singh and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee have been saying Dutt should be pardoned.
"Pedigree has no place in judiciary," the article said, referring to Dutt being son of illustrious parents. It further said that those seeking amnesty for him have "no business to interfere with the sentence".
While hitting out at Dutt and his supporters, the RSS mouthpiece came out in defence of Thakur, Purohit and Aseemanand.
"Sadhvi Pragya Thakur has been languishing in jail for five years now. The only evidence - if it can be called that at all - against her is that she sold a bike fifteen years ago and did not bother to change the papers. This bike was used in the blast," the editorial said.
It goes on to say that all these years when Dutt has been making movies and leading a normal life as an actor, Thakur has been facing police wrath for the last few years.
"Swami Aseemanand has declared in court that he was being forced to issue confessional statements by the police to use against him. The plight of Purohit is equally condemnable," the article said.
The editorial rues that still no politician or "good Samaritan" has come out to demand justice and fair and fast trial for them.
RSS also referred to the recent arrest of Liaquat Shah, a suspected Hizbul militant, and wondered why one sees merit in his contention that he wanted to surrender.
"Politics has fallen to such levels that nation`s interest has become secondary to political correctness. Persons in public offices seem bartered into various camps. How else does one explain the support to Dutt who has proven links with the underworld and anti-nationals," the Organiser said.
It posed the question that have these developments taken because those people who should be behind bars are today the rulers, an oblique reference to the leaders facing corruption charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed