Each organ of state should work within its sphere: CBI director
New Delhi: Highlighting importance of independence of judiciary, CBI director Ranjit Sinha Thursday said each organ of the state should work within its sphere and avoid interference in each other`s working.
Sinha said an independent judiciary was created through Constitution to secure citizens` right to life, liberty and dignity and guard the citizen against the arbitrariness in the actions of the executive.
"The independence of judiciary is one of the cornerstones of our democracy. Everything necessary needs to be done to preserve and protect the independence of our judiciary.
"But this needs to be done while maintaining the delicate balance of power between the organs of the state as enshrined in the Constitution. It is important that each organ of government operates within its own sphere and none takes over functions assigned to the other," he said while speaking on the conclusion of the two-day CII annual meeting here.
Sinha emphasised on the need to address "trust deficit" between people and the government.
"In a parliamentary democracy, the greatest challenge to good governance is to bridge the gap between the expectations of the people and the effectiveness of the delivery mechanisms.
"Effective governance requires effective institutions; and the effectiveness of the institutions? be it the Legislature, the Executive, or the Judiciary? depends on its delivery mechanisms and the framework of supportive rules, regulations and procedures, which need to continuously evolve in response to the changing times and emerging situations," the CBI Director said.
The first and foremost reform, in my view, is to address the trust deficit, he said.
"The colonial administrative systems and procedures reek of lack of trust in the officers who implement the schemes. The powers, administrative and financial, are centralised and the decision making processes are labyrinthine and time consuming," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town