Earthquake jolts North India
Srinagar/Chandigarh: A 6.3 magnitude
earthquake today shook some northern parts of the country, including the Kashmir Valley, causing panic among the residents.
The tremors were felt for a few moments at 7.31 pm. In most parts of Kashmir, prompting residents to rush out of their homes, bringing back the memories of October 2005 temblor that had left a trail of death and destruction in the state.
While reports from Punjab said that the quake was barely felt in the state, people in some parts of the national capital said that they felt the tremors around 7:30 pm.
The epicentre of the quake was in the Hindukush mountain range in Afghanistan at a focal depth of 170 km, officials said.
The impact of the earthquake was minimal in Chandigarh, officials said. They said that no loss of life or property was reported from anywhere in Punjab.
In Srinagar, officials of the disaster management cell said there were no reports of any damage or casualty due to the tremors so far.
Kashmir falls in the highly earthquake prone Seismic Zone V. It had experienced a 7.4 magnitude earthquake on October 8, 2005, which flattened many parts along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir as well as Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
A report from Islamabad said the quake jolted parts of Punjab and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces of Pakistan though there were no reports of casualties or damage to property.
The temblor, which lasted about five seconds, occurred at about 7 pm local time (7.30 IST) and was followed by powerful aftershocks.
It was felt in Islamabad, Lahore and other parts of Punjab, Peshawar and across Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Northern Afghanistan and Pakistan are frequently hit by earthquakes, especially in the Hindukush, which lies near the collision of the Eurasian and Indian tectonic plates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset