Earthquake rocks Jammu region, tremors felt in Himachal, Punjab
Jammu/Chandigarh: A moderate intensity earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale hit parts of Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh Friday morning.
There were no immediate reports of any loss of life or serious damage.
The quake, the epicentre of which was in Kishtwar, hit Doda and Kishtwar districts around 8.03 am and lasted for 7 seconds, a senior Met officials said, adding, that the aftershocks were felt, measuring 2.7 on the Richter scale, around 8.05 am.
Tremors measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale were also felt in some parts of Punjab, Chandigarh and Haryana but no loss of life or damage to property has been reported from these areas.
People in Shimla, Chamba, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu and Kangra districts of Himachal Pradesh also felt the tremors and rushed out of their homes.
The quake triggered panic among people of Bhaderwah town in Doda district, who rushed out of their homes to stay in the open despite heavy rains in the areas.
Tremors were felt in Kangra and some other parts of Himachal Pradesh on July 13 also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video