Earthquake rocks Jammu region, tremors felt in Himachal, Punjab
Jammu/Chandigarh: A moderate intensity earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale hit parts of Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh Friday morning.
There were no immediate reports of any loss of life or serious damage.
The quake, the epicentre of which was in Kishtwar, hit Doda and Kishtwar districts around 8.03 am and lasted for 7 seconds, a senior Met officials said, adding, that the aftershocks were felt, measuring 2.7 on the Richter scale, around 8.05 am.
Tremors measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale were also felt in some parts of Punjab, Chandigarh and Haryana but no loss of life or damage to property has been reported from these areas.
People in Shimla, Chamba, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu and Kangra districts of Himachal Pradesh also felt the tremors and rushed out of their homes.
The quake triggered panic among people of Bhaderwah town in Doda district, who rushed out of their homes to stay in the open despite heavy rains in the areas.
Tremors were felt in Kangra and some other parts of Himachal Pradesh on July 13 also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail