EC announces poll schedule for 58 RS seats
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Saturday announced the schedule for biennial polls to 58 Rajya Sabha seats from 15 states whose representatives complete their term next month.
Announcing the schedule for filling up vacancies in the
Rajya Sabha, the EC said the notifications would be issued
on March 12.
The last date for filing of nominations is March 19 while
that for withdrawal is March 22. Polling would be held on
March 30, the poll body said.
The tenure of 58 members from the states of Andhra
Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh,
Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttar
Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Odisha and Rajasthan is
expiring in the month of April.
Biennial elections to the Council of States from Bihar
shall also be held on the same date.
Prominent members whose term is due to expire are Leader
of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley (Gujarat),
Congress` Raashid Alvi (Andhra Pradesh), RJD`s Rajniti Prasad
(Bihar), BJP`s Ravishankar Prasad (Bihar), BJP`s Hema Malini
(Karnataka) and Rajya Sabha deputy chairman K Rahman Khan of
Congress from Karnataka.
Besides, Manohar Joshi of Shiv Sena and Science and
Technology minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and MoS Parliamentary
Affairs Rajeev Shukla, all from Maharashtra, Congress
spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi from Rajasthan, Kalraj
Mishra of BJP, Vinay Katiyar of BJP and Naresh Chandra
Aggarwal of BSP, all from Uttar Pradesh and Union Minister
Mukul Roy of All India Trinamool Congress from West Bengal
also complete their tenure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon