EC approves distribution of caps, stickers for electioneering
New Delhi: Ending confusion over the issue, the Election Commission on Thursday clarified that distribution of "small items" such as caps, flags and stickers bearing names and symbols of political parties are allowed for publicity campaigns by the parties for the upcoming Assembly polls.
The Commission said even wearing of caps with party names and symbols by workers of the political parties during campaigning was allowed noted that the cost incurred on the items will be accounted in the expenditure of the party.
The clarification by the Election Commission came after Congress and Aam Aadmi Party had complained about ambiguity in instructions under the Model Code of Conduct on the issue on distribution of "small items" during the campaign.
In its communication to the political parties, the Commission said distribution of sticker, badges, headbands and wrist bands are also allowed.
However, distribution of T-shirts, shirts, trousers and saris having symbols of political parties have been prohibited.
The EC said that distribution of such apparel and their wearing may amount to bribery and is prohibited.
The political parties had complained to the EC that various departments were issuing different rules for enforcement of the model code of conduct.
The entire Delhi Cabinet led by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit along with DPCC chief J P Agarwal on Tuesday had met Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and two Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi and demanded clarity and uniformity in instructions in enforcing Model Code of Conduct.
The BJP and Aam Aadmi Party had also called for uniformity in EC instructions alleging that their workers were being harassed in the name of implementing the model code of conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune