EC approves distribution of caps, stickers for electioneering
New Delhi: Ending confusion over the issue, the Election Commission on Thursday clarified that distribution of "small items" such as caps, flags and stickers bearing names and symbols of political parties are allowed for publicity campaigns by the parties for the upcoming Assembly polls.
The Commission said even wearing of caps with party names and symbols by workers of the political parties during campaigning was allowed noted that the cost incurred on the items will be accounted in the expenditure of the party.
The clarification by the Election Commission came after Congress and Aam Aadmi Party had complained about ambiguity in instructions under the Model Code of Conduct on the issue on distribution of "small items" during the campaign.
In its communication to the political parties, the Commission said distribution of sticker, badges, headbands and wrist bands are also allowed.
However, distribution of T-shirts, shirts, trousers and saris having symbols of political parties have been prohibited.
The EC said that distribution of such apparel and their wearing may amount to bribery and is prohibited.
The political parties had complained to the EC that various departments were issuing different rules for enforcement of the model code of conduct.
The entire Delhi Cabinet led by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit along with DPCC chief J P Agarwal on Tuesday had met Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and two Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi and demanded clarity and uniformity in instructions in enforcing Model Code of Conduct.
The BJP and Aam Aadmi Party had also called for uniformity in EC instructions alleging that their workers were being harassed in the name of implementing the model code of conduct.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today