EC begins groundwork for polls in five states
Agartala: The Election Commission has begun the spadework for Assembly Elections in Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura, Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh, scheduled early next year, an official said here on Tuesday.
"The Commission might hold the Assembly polls due in Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura, Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh separately. After conducting the elections in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh, Assembly polls might be hold in the three northeastern states," an Election Commission official said on condition of anonymity.
The poll panel last month held a meeting with the top officials of the five states to discuss strategy.
The Election Commission has asked the chief electoral officers of the three election-bound northeastern states -- Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland -- to conduct a summary revision of electoral rolls and to include all voters under the Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) scheme.
"The three-month-long summary revision would start in October and end on January 5, 2013 with the publication of final electoral rolls. The qualifying date of the proposed rolls would be January 1, 2013," the official added.
Tripura is ruled by the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left Front, the Naga People`s Front (NPF) led by Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) is in power in Nagaland and Meghalaya is ruled by the Congress. The Bharatiya Janata Party is in power in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
The three northeastern states -- Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura -- have 60 Assembly seats each. Gujarat has 182 seats and Himachal Pradesh 68.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31