EC brass meets home secy over security for Lok Sabha polls
New Delhi: Election Commission on Monday held a detailed discussion with Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami on the availability of security forces for the Lok Sabha polls, which are to be held later this year.
Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath, Election Commissioners HS Brahma and SNA Zaidi and other top EC officials took part in the meeting which covered matters such as the deployment of forces for the general elections and the security situation.
The meeting, which lasted almost two hours, was part of the poll-preparedness exercise being undertaken by EC.
The availability of security personnel would determine the dates for the polls and the schedule would then be fixed accordingly by EC.
EC has already held discussions with the telecom secretary and is to meet the representatives of all the major political parties on February 4.
A total of over 81 crore electors are expected to exercise their franchise at the upcoming general elections, which is likely to be held in April.
A total of 9 lakh polling stations will be identified for the big exercise and over 11 lakh election personnel will be deputed across the country for the smooth, free and fair conduct of the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital