EC brass meets home secy over security for Lok Sabha polls
New Delhi: Election Commission on Monday held a detailed discussion with Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami on the availability of security forces for the Lok Sabha polls, which are to be held later this year.
Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath, Election Commissioners HS Brahma and SNA Zaidi and other top EC officials took part in the meeting which covered matters such as the deployment of forces for the general elections and the security situation.
The meeting, which lasted almost two hours, was part of the poll-preparedness exercise being undertaken by EC.
The availability of security personnel would determine the dates for the polls and the schedule would then be fixed accordingly by EC.
EC has already held discussions with the telecom secretary and is to meet the representatives of all the major political parties on February 4.
A total of over 81 crore electors are expected to exercise their franchise at the upcoming general elections, which is likely to be held in April.
A total of 9 lakh polling stations will be identified for the big exercise and over 11 lakh election personnel will be deputed across the country for the smooth, free and fair conduct of the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP