EC defers hearing on Verma`s model code violation
New Delhi: For the second time in less than
a week, the Election Commission has postponed hearing in the
case against Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma for alleged
violation of the model code for his minorities sub-quota
The hearing scheduled for tomorrow was postponed on the
basis of Verma`s request. The earlier hearing on February 24
was deferred on a plea of the complainant, BJP which had cited
non-availbility of its lawyer to argue the case.
The Commission has now decided to postpone the hearing to
March 2, as per its letter to Verma and Syed Shahnawaz Hussain
of the BJP.
The BJP had complained that the Steel Minister had
violated the model code by making certain remarks on sub-quota
The Commission on Monday had allowed grant of personal
hearing to Verma on February 24 to explain his minorities sub
-quota remarks, before initiating further against him.
The Election Commission had on February 18 slapped a show
cause notice on Verma, finding his remarks on minorities sub-
quota as "prima facie" violation of model code, after the
minister dared the poll body to take action against him. The
EC had also sought his reply by February 20.
At a poll rally in Farukkhabad on February 15 in the
presence of Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh and
Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, Verma had said,
"Reservation for Muslims will be increased and if the EC
wants, it can now issue a notice to me."
Verma, in his reply to the Commission, had expressed
regret over his remarks but had contended that he did not
violate the model code and that his remarks were made as a
Congress leader in line with the party`s manifesto and not as
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof