EC denies transferring official over Vadra rally
New Delhi: The Election Commission is trying to steer clear of a controversy over its order to transfer a poll observer who had stopped Robert Vadra’s motorcycle rally in Amethi.
IAS officer Pawan Sen had allegedly ordered the stopping of Congress campaigner and Priyanka Gandhi`s husband Robert Vadra on the charge of violating the model code of conduct as his convoy had more vehicles against the permitted number of ten bikes.
Vadra was stopped by the authorities yesterday evening when he heading towards Salon area of the district for campaigning.
Sen had also ordered filing of an FIR against the local Congress candidate in the Assembly poll.
However, the Election Commission claims that the transfer of Sen to Goa is routine.
Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi said the incident is unrelated to the observer’s transfer. It has nothing to do with it. The Election Commission had during its meeting yesterday morning decided that Sen be posted as Deputy Commissioner in South Goa, after complaints from various political parties about the conduct of the present DC in South Goa who was earlier the state Chief Minister’s principal secretary.
"To avoid misinterpretation by some mischievous people, we have since kept on hold his transfer. He will be relieved from his election observer duty only after the polls are over on February 19", he added.
Later talking to a news channel, Quraishi called the incident a funny coincidence.
"This is a funny coincidence. He is getting promotion but till the polling in Amethi is over, the order is on hold," Quraishi was quoted as saying.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha, when asked about the recommendation made by him for registration of an FIR, said the "poll observer Sen, after stopping the cavalcade of Congress nominee, in which Robert Vadra also participated, had recommended registration of an FIR against the Congress nominee (Shiv Balak Passi)."
He, however, did not confirm whether the FIR against Passi, the Congress nominee from Salon assembly seat in Amethi, had been registered or not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review