EC discusses Beni Prasad Verma issue
New Delhi: Initiating a probe into alleged
poll code violation by Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma by his
remarks on Muslim subquota and daring the poll body for action
against him, the Election Commission on Friday obtained the video
footage of his speech made in Farrukhabad in Uttar Pradesh.
The Commission discussed the issue at its late evening
meeting which remained inconclusive.
The matter would be discussed again tomorrow at the full
Commission meeting headed by Chief Election Commissioner SY
Qureishi and the two election commissioners VS Sampath and HS Brahma.
The Commissioner had earlier sought a copy of the CD
containing Verma`s speech in Farrukhabad from the Chief
Electoral Officer of Uttar Pradesh.
Earlier in the day, BJP petitioned the poll body against
Verma seeking immediate and stern action by registering a case
against him for alleged violation of the model code of
conduct by his remarks.
Verma is the second union minister after Salman Khurshid
to be under the scanner of the EC for their remarks on the
minority sub quota made during campaigning in Uttar Pradesh.
Verma, while addressing a poll rally on Wednesday night
in the presence of Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh
and Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, had said "reservation
for Muslims will be increased and if the EC wants, it can now
issue a notice to me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?