EC for use of technology in SAARC region
New Delhi: As heads of poll management bodies of SAARC countries got together to evolve ways to tackle common problems, the Election Commission of India on Monday said innovative methods and strategies are needed to deal with new challenges in the electoral field in the region.
In his inaugural address at the 3rd Conference of Heads of Election Management bodies of SAARC countries, Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi stressed on the use of modern technology to deal with problems in the conduct of free and fair elections.
Pointing out the common challenges before election managers in South Asia, who deal with over a billion electorate which is 60 to 70 percent of the whole democratic world, he said the Election Commissions of SAARC nations have to find innovative methods to deal with the new problems in the electoral field.
Quraishi said, bitter political competition, the use of money power and apathy of citizens in the electoral process call for innovative methods and strategies, for which he suggested use of modern technology.
Election Commissioners VS Sampath and HS Brahma emphasised on continuous exchange of experience and expertise among the SAARC electoral bodies.
The three-day conference brings together the Chief Election Commissioners and senior election officials of the region on a common platform to share best practices in election administration and management.
Bangladesh hosted the first conference in May 2010 and the second conference was held at Islamabad last year.
Some of the issues to be discussed include empowerment of election management bodies, inclusive elections, voters education, controlling money power in elections and technology for cost-effective elections.
The discussions will also focus on the final shape of the Forum of SAARC Election Management Bodies, which was agreed at the last Conference held in Islamabad.
Participants in the conference include Fazel Ahmad Manawi, Chairman, Independent Election Commission of Afghanistan, Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad, Chief Election Commissioner of Bangladesh, Dasho Kunzang Wangdi, Chief Election Commissioner of Bhutan and Neel Kantha Upreti, Chief Election Commissioner of Nepal.
Ibrahim Waheed, Commissioner, Maldives, Justice Muhammad Roshan Essani, Member, Election Commission of Pakistan and Mahinda Deshapriya, Commissioner of Elections of Sri Lanka are also taking part in the conference.
Representatives from UNDP, SAARC Secretariat and former Chief Election Commissioner J Lyngdoh, are attending the Conference as special invitees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM