EC has no authority to ban use of flex boards in civic polls: HC
Kochi: Kerala High court on Monday declared that the state Election Commission has no authority to impose ban on use of flex boards in connection with the local bodies poll
The direction in this regard was issued by a division bench comprising Chief justice J Chelameswar and justice P R Ramachandran Menon while allowing a writ appeal by the flex building owners association of kerala.
The bench observed that the commission`s decision was `wholly unconnected with the responsbility entrusted with it`. This was violative of fundamental right of the petitioner, the court held.
Use of flexboards is not probibited for any other purpose. If the state or competant atuhority is of the opinion that use of plastic is to be prohibited or is beyond the permissible limit, it is to be regulared, it is for appropriate authority to make law in this regard. It is not for the Election commission to determine such things, the court held.
The commission had banned the use of flex boards for electioneering by candidates during this month`s lcoal bodies poll saying it was hazardous. No plastic should be used and the polls should be `green`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter