EC issues notices to K`taka Dy CM, Maha Home Minister
New Delhi: The Election Commission has issued notices to Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister K S Eshwarappa and Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil for giving "hate speeches" while campaigning for the Karnataka Assembly elections.
The two leaders have been directed to reply to the notices by 5 PM on April 13, failing which the Commission will go ahead with its action without any further notice.
Karnataka goes to polls on May 5 to elect its 224-member assembly and the Model Code of Conduct of Conduct is in force as the poll process in the state is on. Counting will be held on May 8.
While Eshwarappa had given his "hate speech" on April 9 in Shimoga in Karnataka while campaigning in the area, Patil had given such a speech in Belgaum in the state on April 7.
The Commission said a complaint has been received against him for his speech made in Shimoga assembly constituency of Karnataka and after seeing the CD a notice has been sent.
"The Commission has seen the CD of your said speech and Whereas, the statement so made prima facie violates Sub para (1) and (3) of para (I) of the MCC (Model Code of Conduct) and also constitutes a violation of Section 125 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 amounting to electoral offence in the electoral matters," the notice said.
On the other hand the notice to Patil said, "statements made prima facie violates Sub paras (1) and (3) of para (I) of the MCC and also constitutes a violation of Section 123 and 125 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951; 153A, 153B and 505 of Indian Penal Code amounting to corrupt practice and electoral offence in the electoral matters."
The Model Code prohibits inciting any communal feelings and no party or candidate shall include in any activity which may aggravate existing differences or create mutual hatred or cause tension between different castes and communities, religious or linguistic. It says there shall be no appeal to caste or communal feelings for securing votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why