EC issues warning to Narendra Modi over `khooni panja` remark
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Elections Commission has expressed strong disapproval over BJP`s prime ministerial candidate for 2014 General Elections Narendra Modi`s `khooni panja` remark that he made at an election rally in Chhattisgarh.
Issuing a warning to Modi on Thursday, the EC asked him to be careful in future and said that expressions such as `khooni panja` and `zaalim haath` construed as injurious to cause of decorous political discourse.
Not mincing words the EC said that colloquial expressions needed to be couched in a manner that they conform to dignity, decorum and public morality.
The EC also said that they were not satisfied with the response given to the commission by the Gujarat Chief Minister. "Having regard to the totality of facts and circumstances of the case and submissions and contentions made by you in your reply under reference, the Commission expresses its disapprobation in the matter, and expects that you will stand by your above referred commitment and to be more careful in your public discourse in future," the EC order said.
The Election Commission had issued notice to Modi for alleged poll code violation over his `khooni panja` remark at an election rally in Chhattisgarh. Modi had told the gathering in Dongargarh Rajnandgaon on November 07 that if they wanted the state to be protected from the bloody hand then they should give their vote to the lotus. The Congress had moved the EC on November 10 against the Gujarat CM.
In his nine-page reply filed before the commission Modi had said that he had only exercised his right of free speech by criticising the policies and work of Congress and thus has not violated the model code.
He had added that the usage of the term is figurative and was used as a colloquial metaphor.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed