EC likely to announce poll dates for 5 states
New Delhi: The Election Commission is likely to announce the schedule for Assembly Elections to be held next year in five states including Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Punjab and Goa on Friday.
As per reports, Uttar Pradesh is likely to have a 5-phase election, possibly in February. The other four states are likely to have a single phase poll.The announcement in this regard will be made by Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi, after which a model code of conduct will come into force in five states.
The Election Commission had in past reviewed preparations and political situation in these states before holding assembly elections next year.
This will be the first time that assembly elections will be held in five states since noted social crusader Anna Hazare launched a fierce campaign against corruption and targeted Congress-led ruling UPA alliance at the centre for failing to take effective measures to curb corruption.
The anti-corruption crusader had already announced that he along with his team will tour all poll-bound states extensively and campaign against the Congress party.
Team Anna had outrightly rejected the draft Lokpal Bill tabled in the Lok Sabha yesterday.
As per experts, elections in these states are being seen as a prelude to the General Elections in 2014. All eyes are especially on UP, which is likely to witness a four-cornered contest between Mayawati-led BSP and Samjwadi Party led by Mulayam Singh Yadav, besides BJP and Congress.
With Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi going all out against the Mayawati government in UP and the BSP chief appearing in a counter-attack mode, the politically-crucial state is likely to witness hectic political activities and intense campaigning.
As per poll analysts, a lot is at stake for top political leaders in the upcoming Assembly Elections, like Rahul Gandhi, Mayawati, Nitin Gadkari and Mualayam Singh Yadav.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Shocking: Malaika Arora no more a 'Khan' after separation from husband Arbaaz?
- NSA Doval involved in toppling Arunachal, Uttarakhand govts: Kishore Upadhyay
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 32: Kolkata Knight Riders vs Kings XI Punjab — As it happened...
- Non-veg food banned in Lucknow University campus, students term the decision as 'anti-Dalit'
- When Sachin Tendulkar's run-out against Pakistan triggered huge riot