EC mulls Beni issue after obtaining speech CD
New Delhi: Initiating a probe into alleged
poll code violation by Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma by his
remarks on Muslim subquota and daring the poll body for action
against him, the Election Commission on Friday obtained the video
footage of his speech made in Farrukhabad in Uttar Pradesh.
The Commission discussed the issue at its late evening
meeting which remained inconclusive.
The matter would be discussed again tomorrow at the full
Commission meeting headed by Chief Election Commissioner S Y
Qureishi and the two election commissioners V S Sampath and H
S Brahma, The Commissioner had earlier sought a copy of the CD
containing Verma`s speech in Farrukhabad from the Chief
Electoral Officer of Uttar Pradesh.
Earlier in the day, BJP petitioned the poll body against
Verma seeking immediate and stern action by registering a case
against him for alleged violation of the model code of
conduct by his remarks.
Verma is the second union minister after Salman Khurshid
to be under the scanner of the EC for their remarks on the
minority sub quota made during campaigning in Uttar Pradesh.
Verma, while addressing a poll rally on Wednesday night
in the presence of Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh
and Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, had said "reservation
for Muslims will be increased and if the EC wants, it can now
issue a notice to me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'