EC mulls Beni issue after obtaining speech CD
New Delhi: Initiating a probe into alleged
poll code violation by Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma by his
remarks on Muslim subquota and daring the poll body for action
against him, the Election Commission on Friday obtained the video
footage of his speech made in Farrukhabad in Uttar Pradesh.
The Commission discussed the issue at its late evening
meeting which remained inconclusive.
The matter would be discussed again tomorrow at the full
Commission meeting headed by Chief Election Commissioner S Y
Qureishi and the two election commissioners V S Sampath and H
S Brahma, The Commissioner had earlier sought a copy of the CD
containing Verma`s speech in Farrukhabad from the Chief
Electoral Officer of Uttar Pradesh.
Earlier in the day, BJP petitioned the poll body against
Verma seeking immediate and stern action by registering a case
against him for alleged violation of the model code of
conduct by his remarks.
Verma is the second union minister after Salman Khurshid
to be under the scanner of the EC for their remarks on the
minority sub quota made during campaigning in Uttar Pradesh.
Verma, while addressing a poll rally on Wednesday night
in the presence of Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh
and Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, had said "reservation
for Muslims will be increased and if the EC wants, it can now
issue a notice to me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...