EC notice to Munde on Rs 8 cr poll expense claim
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Mumbai: The Election Commission on Wednesday issued a notice to BJP leader Gopinath Munde on his statement that he had spent Rs 8 crore in the last Lok Sabha elections, much above the prescribed ceiling. The expenditure limit on the Lok Sabha election was Rs 25 lakh.
Munde had made the controversial comment at a programme in Mumbai last week. Munde is BJP`s Deputy Leader in Lok Sabha.
The Congress was quick to latch on the statement and demanded that Munde, elected from Beed in Maharashtra, be disqualified from Parliament.
BJP was defensive on the issue and reasoned that Munde has flagged the important issue of state funding of polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company