EC order on seizing of excess cash during election challenged
Ahmedabad: A Public Interest Litigation filed in the Gujarat High Court has sought "restraint and moderation" of the Election Commission`s order, to seize cash beyond Rs 2.5 lakh in transit to check misuse of money in the forthcoming assembly elections, in view of the festival season.
"Direct the State Election commission and police to exercise power reasonably and justifiably by using restraint and moderation during the days of festivals like Navratri and Diwali," the petition filed by NGO Bhagyoday Jan Parishad said.
The Commission had recently ordered that cash in excess of Rs 2.5 lakh found being transported be seized until the money has been accounted for.
To ensure the implementation of the order, the commission has deployed state-wide `Surveillance Teams` which are keeping a tight vigil and about Rs 10 crore were seized by the authorities over the last few days.
The order has not gone down well, not only with the business community but with people at large who felt it was a `harassment`.
Incidentally, industry body ASSOCHAM has already submitted a memorandum to Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath in New Delhi in this regard while Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industry has also written a letter to the commission saying its action was affecting retail business in the festival season.
The court is expected to conduct hearing on PIL soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof