EC orders 20,000 paper audit trail systems
New Delhi: The Election Commission has ordered 20,000 voter verifiable paper audit trail (VVPAT) systems, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said Wednesday.
"The paper trail system was experimented with in two assembly constituencies in Nagaland and Mizoram. Induced by experimentation, we have ordered for the supply of 20,000 such machines," Sampath said at a press conference at which he announced the schedule for the Lok Sabha elections.
"We are waiting for the machines. As soon as they are received, we will use them in as many constituencies as possible," he said.
The commission is likely to receive these new systems by March 31.
Under this system, when a voter presses a button on the electronic voting machine to select the candidate he wants to vote for, a slip of paper bearing the name and symbol of the party will briefly appear for about 10 seconds, after which it will fall into a secure box, thus maintaining a paper trail of all the votes cast.
At present, there are 600 units with the Election Commission.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know