EC rejects Mulayam`s vote in Presidential poll
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Friday rejected Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav`s vote in the Presidential poll and directed the Returning Officer (RO) not to count it as the secrecy of the ballot had been violated.
"The issue of second ballot paper to Mulayam Singh Yadav was not warranted under rule 15 of the Presidential and Vice- Presidential Elections Rules, 1974. Therefore, the second ballot paper issued to Yadav may not be taken up for counting," the Commission said.
The poll panel also directed the RO that the first ballot paper issued to Yadav cannot be counted as its secrecy was violated.
In a faux pas, Yadav had yesterday cast his vote in favour of BJP-backed candidate PA Sangma instead of UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee but realised his mistake to make a correction.
Yadav, who was among the early voters, after marking his vote for Sangma, tore the ballot paper and sought a fresh one from the polling officer, according to sources.
The SP chief then marked his correct preference on the fresh ballot paper. The ballot paper carrying the incorrect entry made by Yadav was deposited with the polling officer, the sources said.
The Sangma camp had lodged a complaint with the RO, VK Agnihotri, who is the Lok Sabha Secretary General, and sought cancellation of the second ballot paper issued to Yadav.
Sangma`s authorised representative Satya Pal Jain had filed a written complaint with the RO contending Yadav was not entitled to second ballot paper under the law. Agnihotri had later written to the EC on the issue alongwith Jain`s complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what