EC rejects Sangma camp`s petition against Pranab
New Delhi: Citing Constitutional and legal provisions, the Election Commission today rejected the petition of opposition-backed Presidential nominee P A Sangma camp against UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee`s nomination saying the same is not maintainable before it.
The Sangma camp had petitioned the EC against the decision of the Presidential poll Returning Officer for accepting the nomination papers of UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee, despite their objections to the same on the ground that he allegedly occupied office of profit, a charge by Mukherjee camp.
In response to the July 9 complaint filed before it jointly by Subramanian Swamy, Satya Pal Jain and Bhartruhari Mahtab, the Election Commission said all doubts and disputes with regard to the Presidential election will be decided by the Supreme Court.
"...As per the above-mentioned Constitutional and legal provisions, your petition dated 9th July, 2012, is not maintainable before the Election Commission," an EC order said.
It said "all doubts and disputes arising out of or in connection with an election to the Office of the President shall be inquired into and decided by the Hon`ble Supreme Court."
Reacting to the EC order in response to their complaint, Satya Pal Jain said a decision on further course of action will be taken soon.
"The EC has not rejected our petition on merits. It has decided on the basis of jurisdiction. The legal team of P A Sangma will be meeting tomorrow at his residence and the campaign committee of Sangma will be meeting a day after and then, we will take a final decision on further course of action," Jain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof