EC reviews preparation is five poll-bound states
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Friday asked the five poll-bound states to come up with an action plan with specific datelines for conduct of assembly elections slated later this year as it reviewed their preparations.
The states of Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Mizoram are due for elections by the end of the year as the tenure of their state assemblies are ending.
The review of poll preparedness in election-bound states was done today at a meeting chaired by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and attended by both Election Commissioners H S Brahma and S N A Zaidi.
As Chief Electoral Officers of Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Mizoram made their respective presentations covering various aspects of election management in their states, the Commission asked them to prepare election management plans of their respective states while fixing specific datelines.
During the review meeting, the revision of electoral rolls, requirement of EVMs and other election material, besides the deployment of polling staff and security arrangements were discussed.
A step to monitor the election expenditure by making use of money power was also discussed in detail. Besides, the measures taken to increase voter participation through Systematic Voters` Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) were also discussed.
The CEOs were told to make specific timelines for putting in place all arrangements ahead of the polls.
The law and order situation in the election-bound states was also discussed and past experiences shared while dealing with security issues, especially in tribal and naxal affected areas.
The Commission has also taken an initiative to ensure that all polling staff deployed should get an opportunity to exercise their right to vote and sought arrangements in this regard.
While discussing the summary revision of electoral rolls, the Commission also asked the five states to ensure that the finality of electoral rolls should be clean by weeding out ineligible or wrong voters and including all eligible voters.
The social summary revision in states of Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh has already been carried out and that in Rajasthan, Delhi and Mizoram is underway at present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe