EC says yet to take final call on appointment of next Army Chief
New Delhi: The Election Commission (EC) has said that it is yet to take a final call on the issue of the appointment of the next Chief of Army Staff.
In reply to a question, Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi told reporters in New Delhi on Tuesday night, that the commission is still deliberating on the matter of allowing the incumbent UPA regime to go ahead with its decision to appoint the next army chief.
The BJP has raised strong objections to the government going ahead with the process of appointing the next army chief, on grounds that its tenure is coming to end on May 16, and that the new government should have the right to decide who the next head of the army will be.
The government has said that it is waiting for the EC to give its nod before announcing the appointment.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Vital facts about Kangana Ranaut's leaked image suppressed: Hrithik Roshan's camp
- Sunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISS
- West Bengal polls: Bhawanipur to witness star-studded electoral battle
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO