EC says yet to take final call on appointment of next Army Chief
New Delhi: The Election Commission (EC) has said that it is yet to take a final call on the issue of the appointment of the next Chief of Army Staff.
In reply to a question, Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi told reporters in New Delhi on Tuesday night, that the commission is still deliberating on the matter of allowing the incumbent UPA regime to go ahead with its decision to appoint the next army chief.
The BJP has raised strong objections to the government going ahead with the process of appointing the next army chief, on grounds that its tenure is coming to end on May 16, and that the new government should have the right to decide who the next head of the army will be.
The government has said that it is waiting for the EC to give its nod before announcing the appointment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis