EC says yet to take final call on appointment of next Army Chief
New Delhi: The Election Commission (EC) has said that it is yet to take a final call on the issue of the appointment of the next Chief of Army Staff.
In reply to a question, Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi told reporters in New Delhi on Tuesday night, that the commission is still deliberating on the matter of allowing the incumbent UPA regime to go ahead with its decision to appoint the next army chief.
The BJP has raised strong objections to the government going ahead with the process of appointing the next army chief, on grounds that its tenure is coming to end on May 16, and that the new government should have the right to decide who the next head of the army will be.
The government has said that it is waiting for the EC to give its nod before announcing the appointment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP