EC seeks I&B Min help to bring adults on electoral roll
New Delhi: Aiming to bring every eligible youth on electoral rolls by National Voters` Day in January next, Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi has sought Information and Broadcasting Ministry`s support for necessary awareness and outreach activities.
In a letter to I&B Minister Ambika Soni, the CEC has asked her to direct the media units of her ministry to get in touch with Chief Electoral Officers of states that are going to polls next in achieving this goal.
Quraishi has also appreciated the ministry`s support in helping increase voters` participation in the recently- concluded assembly elections in five states of Goa, Punjab, Manipur, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
"The Commission seeks your support in necessary environment-building and outreach campaign for the National Voters` Day on 25th January, 2013, aimed at bringing every eligible youth on the electoral roll of the country," Quraishi wrote to Soni.
"I look forward to even higher level of cooperation from your ministry in the coming assembly elections in Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland," he added.
Appreciating the I&B Ministry`s support in achieving a significantly higher level of voters` participation in the just-concluded assembly polls, the CEC said, "The contribution from your Ministry`s field offices, especially those of Doordarshan and AIR and their News Divisions and DFP helped us to provide adequate effect to the Systemic Voters` Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) programme of the Commission."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test