EC should decide if political parties can come under RTI: Naqvi
New Delhi: As the CIC held that political parties are answerable to citizens under RTI, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Monday said the Election Commission should decide on this issue.
Naqvi noted that as of now political parties declare their assets and other things to the Election Commission as per the rules.
"Whether political parties should declare their assets to CIC is a decision for the Election Commission to take," he said.
He was reacting after the Central Information Commission, a quasi-judicial body, said six national parties Congress, BJP, NCP, CPI-M, CPI and BSP have been substantially funded indirectly by the central government and they have the character of public authority under the RTI Act as they perform public functions.
After the order of the full bench of CIC, the parties will be answerable to the citizens regarding their source of funding, how they spend money and choice of candidates for elections, among other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster