EC should decide if political parties can come under RTI: Naqvi
New Delhi: As the CIC held that political parties are answerable to citizens under RTI, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Monday said the Election Commission should decide on this issue.
Naqvi noted that as of now political parties declare their assets and other things to the Election Commission as per the rules.
"Whether political parties should declare their assets to CIC is a decision for the Election Commission to take," he said.
He was reacting after the Central Information Commission, a quasi-judicial body, said six national parties Congress, BJP, NCP, CPI-M, CPI and BSP have been substantially funded indirectly by the central government and they have the character of public authority under the RTI Act as they perform public functions.
After the order of the full bench of CIC, the parties will be answerable to the citizens regarding their source of funding, how they spend money and choice of candidates for elections, among other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside