EC should decide if political parties can come under RTI: Naqvi
New Delhi: As the CIC held that political parties are answerable to citizens under RTI, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Monday said the Election Commission should decide on this issue.
Naqvi noted that as of now political parties declare their assets and other things to the Election Commission as per the rules.
"Whether political parties should declare their assets to CIC is a decision for the Election Commission to take," he said.
He was reacting after the Central Information Commission, a quasi-judicial body, said six national parties Congress, BJP, NCP, CPI-M, CPI and BSP have been substantially funded indirectly by the central government and they have the character of public authority under the RTI Act as they perform public functions.
After the order of the full bench of CIC, the parties will be answerable to the citizens regarding their source of funding, how they spend money and choice of candidates for elections, among other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH