EC should decide if political parties can come under RTI: Naqvi
New Delhi: As the CIC held that political parties are answerable to citizens under RTI, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Monday said the Election Commission should decide on this issue.
Naqvi noted that as of now political parties declare their assets and other things to the Election Commission as per the rules.
"Whether political parties should declare their assets to CIC is a decision for the Election Commission to take," he said.
He was reacting after the Central Information Commission, a quasi-judicial body, said six national parties Congress, BJP, NCP, CPI-M, CPI and BSP have been substantially funded indirectly by the central government and they have the character of public authority under the RTI Act as they perform public functions.
After the order of the full bench of CIC, the parties will be answerable to the citizens regarding their source of funding, how they spend money and choice of candidates for elections, among other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Pacer Neil Wagner bags six wickets as New Zealand restrict Zimbabwe to 164 on Day 1
- Price rise: FM Jaitley counters Rahul Gandhi, says bluster no match to statistics
- Indian men's hockey team go down 1-4 to Spain in Rio Olympics preparation match
- When Microsoft almost bought Yahoo for $45 billion!
- HC tells cops to act if offence made out against Owaisi