`EC should not transgress powers of Parliament`
Shillong: The Election Commission (EC) should not transgress on the powers of Parliament, senior Rajya Sabha Member Shantaram Naik said on Friday.
"They (EC) should remain within the ambit of Article 324 of the Constitution which provides it with only a supervisory role and not make laws," said Naik, who heads a Parliament Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice.
Asked if the poll body over-stepped its constitutional mandate, Naik said "they are unfortunately creating laws under the guise of Article 324."
Naik said that EC observers sometimes did not balance things properly while referring to curbs on expenditure during elections.
He also said that the Committee was examining whether the code-of-conduct should be made part of the Representation of People Act, 1951.
A detailed report on its findings would be submitted to Parliament by the end of the forthcoming monsoon session, Naik said.
Naik was on a consultative meet on Electoral reforms, Code of conduct for political parties and Anti-defection law with state governments, political parties, NGOs from all seven north eastern states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Rains keep mercury near normal in several parts of country
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- UPA govt, LeT worked in tandem in Ishrat Jahan case: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government