`EC should not transgress powers of Parliament`
Shillong: The Election Commission (EC) should not transgress on the powers of Parliament, senior Rajya Sabha Member Shantaram Naik said on Friday.
"They (EC) should remain within the ambit of Article 324 of the Constitution which provides it with only a supervisory role and not make laws," said Naik, who heads a Parliament Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice.
Asked if the poll body over-stepped its constitutional mandate, Naik said "they are unfortunately creating laws under the guise of Article 324."
Naik said that EC observers sometimes did not balance things properly while referring to curbs on expenditure during elections.
He also said that the Committee was examining whether the code-of-conduct should be made part of the Representation of People Act, 1951.
A detailed report on its findings would be submitted to Parliament by the end of the forthcoming monsoon session, Naik said.
Naik was on a consultative meet on Electoral reforms, Code of conduct for political parties and Anti-defection law with state governments, political parties, NGOs from all seven north eastern states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"