EC takes note of Kejriwal`s complaint of Reliance influencing gas price hike
Lucknow: Election Commission has taken note of AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal`s complaint that on a proposal by Reliance Industries, petroleum ministry is going to hike gas prices from April 1 and said it would examine the matter.
"The Commission will look into it and the urgency shown in going ahead with the decision," Election Commissioner H S Brahma told a press conference here flanked by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampat.
"A decision that was awaited for so long could be put on hold for another two months," Sampat said.
The commission was here to review poll preparations in Uttar Pradesh.
Kejriwal had in a letter to the EC termed the gas price hike as violation of the Model Code of Conduct and alleged that the decision was aimed at providing windfall gains to Mukesh Ambani`s Reliance Industries.
Sampat directed effective deployment of central forces for peaceful and impartial polling and warned that officials found to be working in a partisan manner would be immediately removed from election duty.
"Clear directions have been given for effective deployment of central security forces at the polling centres for conducting elections in a peaceful and impartial manner," Sampat, who has been camping in the state capital since yesterday, said.
On complaints of some political parties that certain officials were working in a biased manner, Sampat said, "Any official found to be working in a partial manner would not be allowed to continue with poll-related work."
He said representatives of some political parties had submitted certain complaints. These would be verified and suitable action taken.
On the complaint of some political parties that fake cases were being filed against political workers and leaders, he said the chief electoral officer of the state would take appropriate steps.
About political leaders making derogatory allegations and comments against their opponents, Sampat said the EC would not desist from taking action against anyone crossing the line of decency or violating the Model Code.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read