EC to announce poll schedule for 5 states today
New Delhi: The Election Commission will announce the schedule for Assembly polls in five states of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Goa and Manipur on Saturday.
The poll schedule will be announced after a meeting between Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi and Election Commissioners V S Sampath and H S Brahma to be held at 4.30 pm today.
The schedule for the elections will be given a final shape after the EC assesses the availability of paramilitary forces from the government.
The Election Commission had yesterday held discussions with Home Secretary R K Singh on the availability of paramilitary forces for Assembly polls in five states.
Around 80,000 paramilitary personnel, apart from state policemen, are expected to be deployed during the Assembly polls.
The Home Ministry conveyed to the Election Commission that it was ready to provide 700 to 800 companies (70,000-80,000 personnel) of paramilitary forces for deployment in the five states.
Sources said polling in politically-sensitive Uttar Pradesh is expected to be multi-phased while it will be in one phase in the other four states. It is expected that the polls will be held during February-March.
(With PTI inputs)
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- BJP slams UP CM Akhilesh Yadav over hunger death in Bundelkhand
- Shah Rukh Khan should get National Award for 'FAN'—See who says this!
- Forget controversies, KRK makes 'interesting' remark about Karan Singh Grover-Bipasha Basu wedding
- Shiv Sena slams Centre's U-turn on Hurriyat, says BJP govt acting like a 'chameleon'
- Sensing tool 'SpiroCall' can measure your lung function over phone call