EC to complete issuance of voter ID cards by 2011
Bangalore: Chief Election Commissioner Navin
Chawla Tuesday said that the process of issuing voter identity
cards to 76 crore voters is expected to be completed by
Chawla, who inaugurated a photo exhibition to mark the
diamond jubilee celebrations of the Election Commission`s
constitution, said various steps were taken to ensure that the
election machinery becomes more voter-friendly.
Around 58 crore of the voter population had been issued
voter identity cards, he said.
Admitting the occurrence of frequent complaints of names
missing from the voter list, the CEC said that poll officials
often faced apathy from voters in urban areas.
Urban voters did not bother to register their names or
check their names were on the list, in advance and often came
forward with complaints on polling day, Chawla remarked,
adding measures were being taken to do away this issue.
On the completion of 60 years of the Commission`s
functioning, he said "we are really proud that the Election
Commission since its 60 years of existence has been conducting
smoothly elections of a largest democratic country in the
world, whoever may be the CEC."
The Chief Election Commissioner, later, chaired a
conference of chief electoral officers from south India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 22 runs, march into playoffs
- Three men held for attacking BJP MP Tarun Vijay
- Internet services suspended in Kupwara in wake of encounter
- Submarine deployed to find crashed jet's black boxes: Egypt PM
- Transform your look with different capes this season!