EC to hold special camp for riot victims to ensure they vote
Lucknow: To ensure that riot victims are able to cast their votes, Election Commission would organise a special drive to register the displaced people, who have taken shelter in various relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas, and issue them temporary voter ID cards.
"A special camp will be organised for those living in relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas," Uttar Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha told reporters here.
He said that all of them would be registered and issued temporary voter identity cards, suspending their existing ones, if any, so that they could exercise their franchise.
At present, over 12,000 persons are living in such camps. Meanwhile, Sinha said that over 20 lakh persons participated in "Matdata chaupal" organised across the state.
At these chaupals, voters filled forms to get their names included and corrected in the voters` list ahead of Lok Sabha elections, he said.
Such chaupal would be held every Sunday`s to enroll maximum number of voters, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad