EC to hold special camp for riot victims to ensure they vote
Lucknow: To ensure that riot victims are able to cast their votes, Election Commission would organise a special drive to register the displaced people, who have taken shelter in various relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas, and issue them temporary voter ID cards.
"A special camp will be organised for those living in relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas," Uttar Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha told reporters here.
He said that all of them would be registered and issued temporary voter identity cards, suspending their existing ones, if any, so that they could exercise their franchise.
At present, over 12,000 persons are living in such camps. Meanwhile, Sinha said that over 20 lakh persons participated in "Matdata chaupal" organised across the state.
At these chaupals, voters filled forms to get their names included and corrected in the voters` list ahead of Lok Sabha elections, he said.
Such chaupal would be held every Sunday`s to enroll maximum number of voters, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical