EC to hold special camp for riot victims to ensure they vote
Lucknow: To ensure that riot victims are able to cast their votes, Election Commission would organise a special drive to register the displaced people, who have taken shelter in various relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas, and issue them temporary voter ID cards.
"A special camp will be organised for those living in relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas," Uttar Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha told reporters here.
He said that all of them would be registered and issued temporary voter identity cards, suspending their existing ones, if any, so that they could exercise their franchise.
At present, over 12,000 persons are living in such camps. Meanwhile, Sinha said that over 20 lakh persons participated in "Matdata chaupal" organised across the state.
At these chaupals, voters filled forms to get their names included and corrected in the voters` list ahead of Lok Sabha elections, he said.
Such chaupal would be held every Sunday`s to enroll maximum number of voters, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines