EC to keep an eye on Anna
New Delhi: With noted social activist Anna Hazare due to begin his three-fast from Tuesday, the Election Commission has warned that the entire cost of his campaign would be monitored.
Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi had made an announcement earlier that if Team Anna campaigns for any candidate in the upcoming Assembly Elections, the entire cost of his campaign would be added to that candidate’s expenditure.
The CEC, however, said if Team Anna campaigns against any candidate, the Election Commission has nothing to do with it.
The 74-year-old anti-corruption crusader had declared that he will tour the poll bound states and campaign against the parties and candidates opposing the Lokpal Bill.
“I will make voters aware about the need for a stronger Lokpal vis-à-vis the stance of Congress. I will request them that what is the use of keeping those people in power who do not want to remove corruption from the country?” he had said.
The CEC made this remark shortly after announcing the schedule for Assembly polls to be held in five states early next year.
The model code of conduct has come into force with immediate effect in all the five states and will also apply to the Central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Good news! Dimpy Ganguly welcomes baby Reanna with blizzards of kisses and hugs - See pic
- Harmanpreet Kaur Bhullar becomes first India Women's cricketer to be signed by overseas T20 team
- Indian politicians funded Hillary Clinton for Indo-US civil nuclear deal: Donald Trump
- In two years Tripura-Assam border with Bangladesh to be totally sealed: Secretary BM
- PM Modi to launch Smart City projects in Pune today