EC to keep an eye on Anna
New Delhi: With noted social activist Anna Hazare due to begin his three-fast from Tuesday, the Election Commission has warned that the entire cost of his campaign would be monitored.
Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi had made an announcement earlier that if Team Anna campaigns for any candidate in the upcoming Assembly Elections, the entire cost of his campaign would be added to that candidate’s expenditure.
The CEC, however, said if Team Anna campaigns against any candidate, the Election Commission has nothing to do with it.
The 74-year-old anti-corruption crusader had declared that he will tour the poll bound states and campaign against the parties and candidates opposing the Lokpal Bill.
“I will make voters aware about the need for a stronger Lokpal vis-à-vis the stance of Congress. I will request them that what is the use of keeping those people in power who do not want to remove corruption from the country?” he had said.
The CEC made this remark shortly after announcing the schedule for Assembly polls to be held in five states early next year.
The model code of conduct has come into force with immediate effect in all the five states and will also apply to the Central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand