EC to take steps to fill convicted MPs seats after Parliament informs of vacancy
New Delhi: The Election Commission will initiate steps to fill up the seats of convicted and disqualified lawmakers, including Lalu Prasad, only after they are declared vacant.
Lalu, who is Lok Sabha MP from Saran in Bihar, another member of the lower house Jagdish Sharma and Rajya Sabha member Rasheed Masood stand disqualified after their conviction in corruption cases in view of the Supreme Court order quashing a provision in the Representation of the People Act that provided immunity to lawmakers.
"Regarding those MPs, the vacancy consequent to court action has to be notified by the Speaker of the House concerned. After that only further action by the Commission will arise," Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath told reporters when asked about the fate of their seats.
Election Commissioner H S Brahma also said the Commission will initiate further action only after Parliament informs the Commission about the vacancy.
Till now, the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha seats of both Lalu and Masood are yet to be notified as vacant by the respective houses. RJD leader Lalu has been convicted and sentenced to five years in jail in the fodder scam and Congress MP Masood to four years in jail in a medical seats scam.
The names of Lalu and Masood continue to be on the websites of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha respectively till date.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has written to the Law Ministry seeking to know the procedure to be adopted for disqualifying the convicted lawmakers and the date from which they will be disqualified in view of the Supreme Court judgement.
Though Attorney General G E Vahanvati has said that the lawmakers stand convicted from the day of their conviction by a court, he is not reported to have given any procedure to be followed for their disqualification.
Sources say as per existing rules, the Commission will not hold bye-election to fill up a Lok Sabha seat in case the general elections to the House is due within a year.
Masood is Rajya Sabha MP from Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'