EC yet to decide on Khurshid matter: CEC
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Tuesday said
it has not yet taken a decision on the letter of Law Minister
Salman Khurshid regretting his controversial remarks on the
minorities sub-quota issue.
Amid speculation about its response to Khurshid`s letter
sent late last night to the poll panel, Chief Election
Commissioner SY Quraishi said the Commission is yet to
deliberate on this particular issue as it had several other
important issues at hand.
"The Commission has been busy with other important
things.... It will decide on it in due course of time,"
Quraishi told PTI after a meeting of the Commission this
The Commission also held discussions with a visiting
American delegation led by the US Under Secretary for Civilian
Security, Democracy and Human Rights, besides meeting a
delegation of the Akhil Bharatiya Sant Samiti with complaints
of alleged poll violations.
In a letter delivered to the EC late last night, Khurshid
said that he "bows to the wisdom of the EC" and has given his
personal commitment to ensure that such a situation does not
Khurshid`s letter came close on the heels of Congress
disapproving his comments against the poll panel, saying that
"people occupying posts of responsibility should speak
In a short communication, the Minister said, "I treat this
matter as unfortunate and regret the statement...it has never
been my intention to transgress the law and undermine the
election code of conduct. I have great respect for the
Commission and the decisions it takes and has taken...."
EC sources had earlier in the day indicated that the poll
body was likely to put a lid on the issue in view of
Khurshid`s regret and assurance of not raking up the matter
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS