Economist PM is wrong on FDI: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday took on Dr Manmohan Singh, saying the economist Prime Minster is wrong on foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi band retail and alleged that his government has betrayed the nation.
Reacting to the Prime Minister’s remark that FDI will benefit the farmers, BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said that he (Manmohan Singh) is trying to top down the victory in Parliament, which has been a virtual defeat for the government.”
“He is talking about the farmers, but the cold stores, roads required to reach the cold stores and electricity required for the cold stores will come after 20 years and that is when the farmers will send their produce, but as far as the consumer’s items are concerned, they will be imported from China, Japan and U S within weeks and months and consumers will buy those products,” said Rudy.
“I think his (Prime Minister) economics is wrong and BJP strongly believes that the Prime Minster and UPA Government has betrayed the nation,” he added.
Janata Dal-United president and NDA convener Sharad Yadav also echoed similar sentiments on the FDI issue, and said that the people of the country would give a befitting reply to the government very soon.
“There was no manipulation during the all India shut down call on the FDI issue, but the government has won technically in Parliament. But in the coming days, when the general elections will take place, the people will roll back this government and its policy,” said Yadav.
Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh earlier today said that FDI in retail would benefit the farmers, consumers and the country. "Our decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment in retail, which was approved by Parliament recently, was strongly supported by farmer organizations in Punjab. It will introduce new technology and investment in marketing agricultural produce,” said Dr Singh in his address at the Golden Jubilee Convocation of Punjab Agricultural University at Ludhiana.
"India must take full advantage of modern technology and the operational and management experience of big supply chains in the food retail business to make this happen. I am confident that it will benefit the farmers, and the consumers and our country," he added.
The Prime Minister’s statement came a day after the UPA Government won the FDI vote in the Rajya Sabha. The government had earlier won the FDI vote in the Lok Sabha despite stiff opposition from the BJP-led NDA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’