ED investigates hawala link in Sarobjit Singh bribery case
Mumbai: The Enforcement Directorate has been
roped in to help investigations of a bribery case involving
National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
Chairman Buta Singh`s son Sarobjit Singh and trace an alleged
hawala dealer and accused in the case, Dhuksingh Chauhan.
"We have sought help from ED to throw more light on this
as Chauhan is an old hawala operator and further probe from
our side is on," CBI Joint Director Rishiraj Singh said to a news agency.
Chauhan was arrested under the Conservation of Foreign
Exchange and Prevention of Smuggling Activities (COFEPOSA) Act
and spent over a year in jail between 1995 and 2000, he said.
Singh said a team of CBI is in Bangalore searching for
the third alleged hawala operator Shamalal Chaudhari who was
to receive the money from Chuahan and transfer it to Delhi to
Sarobjit alias Sweety Singh.
CBI arrested 40-year-old Sarobjit on July 31 for
allegedly demanding a Rs one crore bribe from a Nasik-based
contractor Ramarao Patil to close a case against him.
Three others including Anu Begi, the middleman and two
hawala operators, who were said to be working for Sarobjit,
were also arrested.
CBI Director Ashwani Kumar has indicated about the
possibility of questioning Buta Singh, in connection with the
case involving his son.
"If necessary, we will. If there is a requirement, we
will go as per procedure. No decision has been taken on it
yet. We will go by the law," Kumar said.
The CBI also conducted searches at Sarobjit`s house in
Jangpura area in south Delhi and recovered three unlicensed
fire arms and some live cartridges.
Delhi Police have registered a case under the Arms Act
against Sarobjit in this regard.
Sarobjit has been remanded in CBI custody till August 5.
His father, Buta Singh, has already made it clear that
there was no question of his resigning as chairman of the
Commission and claimed that his son could have "confessed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok