ED registers money laundering case against I-T officer
New Delhi: In fresh trouble for Income Tax department officer Ashutosh Verma who was arrested in 2008 for allegedly diluting I-T appraisal of companies of arms dealer Suresh Nanda, the Enforcement Directorate has registered a criminal case of money laundering against him.
The agency is set to record the statement of Verma, who was last year promoted as a Joint Director in the department, and will soon attach properties of the officer, including a resort in Goa, under provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), official sources said.
The CBI had last year charge sheeted Verma after four- long years of investigations in the case for which Nanda`s son Sanjeev and chartered accountant Bipin Shah are also accused.
Sources said Verma, a 1999-batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer, will be questioned about the acquisition of Goa based property by the name Nitya Resorts, worth Rs 4.4 crore, which the CBI alleges was received by the officer as part payment for showing illegal favours and diluting Nanda`s I-T assessment case.
The statements of Nanda`s and few other associates of Verma will also be included in the probe, the sources added.
Verma was arrested by CBI on March 9, 2008 from a five- star hotel in Mumbai alongwith Suresh Nanda, an accused in Naval War Room leak case, his son Sanjeev and Shah.
CBI had said they were arrested from the hotel while they were allegedly discussing dilution of I-T appraisal report of Nanda`s company to evade tax liabilities.
In its charge sheet filed in November last year, CBI had alleged that the I-T officer had abused his official position and "deleted and diluted" the Income Tax appraisal report prepared by him to minimise the tax liabilities of Nanda`s companies for obtaining pecuniary advantages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok