ED summons Kazmi`s wife to question on funds
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate has
summoned the wife of journalist Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, arrested in the Israeli diplomat car bombing case, to probe into the source of alleged foreign funds received by the
According to sources, the ED is looking into the
remittances of more than Rs 18 lakh to the accounts of Jahan
Ara, the wife of the senior journalist, and her statement will
be recorded in this regard next week.
Jahan may be questioned on March 26, they said.
When contacted, Kazmi`s son Shauzab, however, denied
receiving any summons in this regard from the agency.
The ED is probing the case under the provisions of the
Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) and also under anti-money laundering laws after the Delhi Police recently wrote to it to probe the source and the use of the foreign remittances sent to the couples` accounts.
Delhi Police chief B K Gupta had recently said that Kazmi
and his wife have been receiving foreign remittances regularly and till March 16, his wife had allegedly received Rs
18, 78,500 and Kazmi got Rs 3.80 lakh as foreign remittances regarding which "there is no satisfactory explanation".
Kazmi`s family and his colleagues have denied all the
allegations against him and have demanded a fair probe into
The ED, according to sources, will send a report to the
Delhi Police once it gets the full information of these funds
from the RBI, banks and other foreign payment agents.
The agency will also probe the details of another fund
amounting USD 5,500, which was allegedly received in Kazmi`s accounts.
50-year-old Kazmi, who claimed to have been writing for
Iranian publications, was arrested on March six following
investigations into the February 13 bombing incident where a
magnetic bomb was stuck on an Israeli embassy vehicle.
Four people, including the wife of an Israeli diplomat,
were injured in the bombing incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why