ED summons Kazmi`s wife to question on funds
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate has
summoned the wife of journalist Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, arrested in the Israeli diplomat car bombing case, to probe into the source of alleged foreign funds received by the
According to sources, the ED is looking into the
remittances of more than Rs 18 lakh to the accounts of Jahan
Ara, the wife of the senior journalist, and her statement will
be recorded in this regard next week.
Jahan may be questioned on March 26, they said.
When contacted, Kazmi`s son Shauzab, however, denied
receiving any summons in this regard from the agency.
The ED is probing the case under the provisions of the
Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) and also under anti-money laundering laws after the Delhi Police recently wrote to it to probe the source and the use of the foreign remittances sent to the couples` accounts.
Delhi Police chief B K Gupta had recently said that Kazmi
and his wife have been receiving foreign remittances regularly and till March 16, his wife had allegedly received Rs
18, 78,500 and Kazmi got Rs 3.80 lakh as foreign remittances regarding which "there is no satisfactory explanation".
Kazmi`s family and his colleagues have denied all the
allegations against him and have demanded a fair probe into
The ED, according to sources, will send a report to the
Delhi Police once it gets the full information of these funds
from the RBI, banks and other foreign payment agents.
The agency will also probe the details of another fund
amounting USD 5,500, which was allegedly received in Kazmi`s accounts.
50-year-old Kazmi, who claimed to have been writing for
Iranian publications, was arrested on March six following
investigations into the February 13 bombing incident where a
magnetic bomb was stuck on an Israeli embassy vehicle.
Four people, including the wife of an Israeli diplomat,
were injured in the bombing incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3