ED team quizzes Pondy Lt Governor
Puducherry: A three-member Enforcement
Directorate team was on Wednesday believed to have questioned
Puducherry Lt Governor Iqbal Singh over his recommendation for
issuing passport expeditiously to Hasan Ali Khan, facing money
laundering and tax evasion charges.
Official sources said the ED team from Chennai spent
about an hour with the Lt Governor at the Rajnivas here.
However, a Rajnivas spokesman said the ED team was
with Singh for 20 minutes and did not divulge what transpired
"The team went upstairs and returned after 20 minutes
and I cannot say anything else. The team did not tell
anything. I am conveying what I have been asked to. What
transpired I cannot say," S Srinivasan, private secretary to
the Lt Governor, told reporters.
When persisted with the query whether the team
questioned the Lt Governor, Srinivasan said he could not say
anything as "I did not accompany them upstairs".
Asked if there would be a visit again by the ED
officials to meet the Lt Governor, he said "I cannot say
The ED`s questioning comes in the wake of the Prime
Minister`s Office clearance to the Enforcement Directorate`s
request to record a statement of Singh in connection with his
recommendation as a Congress Rajya Sabha member in 1997 for
expeditious issue of passport to Pune stud farm owner Khan.
Singh`s name cropped up during questioning of
Bihar-based Congress leader Amlendu Pandey on the issue.
Singh has admitted to have recommended expeditious
issue of passport to Khan but claimed he never knew him.
In a letter to Union Home Minister P Chidambaram last
week, Singh had claimed that he asked for the passport to be
granted on humanitarian grounds because he had been told that
Khan needed to travel abroad urgently to visit his ailing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door