ED team quizzes Pondy Lt Governor
Puducherry: A three-member Enforcement
Directorate team was on Wednesday believed to have questioned
Puducherry Lt Governor Iqbal Singh over his recommendation for
issuing passport expeditiously to Hasan Ali Khan, facing money
laundering and tax evasion charges.
Official sources said the ED team from Chennai spent
about an hour with the Lt Governor at the Rajnivas here.
However, a Rajnivas spokesman said the ED team was
with Singh for 20 minutes and did not divulge what transpired
"The team went upstairs and returned after 20 minutes
and I cannot say anything else. The team did not tell
anything. I am conveying what I have been asked to. What
transpired I cannot say," S Srinivasan, private secretary to
the Lt Governor, told reporters.
When persisted with the query whether the team
questioned the Lt Governor, Srinivasan said he could not say
anything as "I did not accompany them upstairs".
Asked if there would be a visit again by the ED
officials to meet the Lt Governor, he said "I cannot say
The ED`s questioning comes in the wake of the Prime
Minister`s Office clearance to the Enforcement Directorate`s
request to record a statement of Singh in connection with his
recommendation as a Congress Rajya Sabha member in 1997 for
expeditious issue of passport to Pune stud farm owner Khan.
Singh`s name cropped up during questioning of
Bihar-based Congress leader Amlendu Pandey on the issue.
Singh has admitted to have recommended expeditious
issue of passport to Khan but claimed he never knew him.
In a letter to Union Home Minister P Chidambaram last
week, Singh had claimed that he asked for the passport to be
granted on humanitarian grounds because he had been told that
Khan needed to travel abroad urgently to visit his ailing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Lenovo ZUK Z1 to be launched in India on May 10
- Research for 'Veerappan' took 15 years: Ram Gopal Varma
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016