ED to probe if Hasan`s funds are proceeds of crime
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday said that the Enforcement Directorate, probing the alleged multi-crore money laundering scam involving Pune-based business Hasan Ali Khan, should establish that the money deposited by the accused in foreign banks are "proceeds" of crime.
"He (Hasan) has amassed huge sum of money in foreign banks that has been prima facie established. But are these proceeds of crime? That needs to be established by the investigating agency. There cannot be a presumption on this," Justice AM Thipsay observed while hearing Hasan`s bail plea.
The court, while reserving its order on the bail petition, remarked that the investigating agencies should find out the source of the money.
"The money is not his. The truth is more than what is being shown to the naked eye. The whole picture needs to be seen," the court said.
Additional Solicitor General Darius Khambatta, appearing for the Enforcement Directorate, said there are highly influential people behind Hasan who need to be probed.
Hasan`s lawyer IA Bagaria, however, refuted all allegations and said that Hasan has no links with international arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi and has no accounts
in any foreign banks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray