ED to probe if Hasan`s funds are proceeds of crime
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday said that the Enforcement Directorate, probing the alleged multi-crore money laundering scam involving Pune-based business Hasan Ali Khan, should establish that the money deposited by the accused in foreign banks are "proceeds" of crime.
"He (Hasan) has amassed huge sum of money in foreign banks that has been prima facie established. But are these proceeds of crime? That needs to be established by the investigating agency. There cannot be a presumption on this," Justice AM Thipsay observed while hearing Hasan`s bail plea.
The court, while reserving its order on the bail petition, remarked that the investigating agencies should find out the source of the money.
"The money is not his. The truth is more than what is being shown to the naked eye. The whole picture needs to be seen," the court said.
Additional Solicitor General Darius Khambatta, appearing for the Enforcement Directorate, said there are highly influential people behind Hasan who need to be probed.
Hasan`s lawyer IA Bagaria, however, refuted all allegations and said that Hasan has no links with international arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi and has no accounts
in any foreign banks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India