Editors` Guild urged to inquire into charges against Tarun Tejpal
New Delhi: Veteran journalist Kuldip Nayar on Thursday said that the Editors` Guild of India should form an inquiry committee to look into the allegations of sexual assault against Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal.
In a letter to Editors` Guild President N Ravi, Nayar said that the body should also set up a standing committee which would examine complaints by women working in the media over molestation or harassment by male journalists.
In his letter, Nayar states that the Guild "did well to condemn Tejpal", but added that the matter should not rest there.
"You should set up an inquiry committee under your chairmanship. The body set up by Tehelka may not carry the credibility which the Editors` Guild (panel) would," Nayar says in his letter to Ravi.
He also called for an urgent meeting of the Guild executive to discuss his suggestions.
"All eyes are fixed on us for the action we take on Tejpal and the steps we take to stop such shameful examples in the future," he said.
- Uttarakhand forest fire under control, no death so far: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump's presidency will 'lead to another 9/11': South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham
- Ex-Australian priest John Joseph Farrell sentenced for child abuse
- Blasphemy case for 'desecrating' Sikh man's turban in Pakistan
- NEET 2016: Government will take final call, says Venkaiah Naidu