Educating Dalit women is best way to empower them: Tirath
New Delhi: Educating Dalit women is the most important way to empower them and reduce many social evils, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said Tuesday.
"How many troubles the women may face, they should not skip education. Even Babasaheb Ambedkar had said that education is the greatest weapon to protect one`s respect and self-esteem and for the protection of one`s rights," Tirath said at a conference of Dalit women here.
"If you are educated, you become aware of your rights. You are not seeking anything from anyone, your rights have been given to you by the Constitution," she said.
Tirath said education would empower women which could bring an end to a lot of social evils. If women are empowered they can stop practices like child marriage by insisting that a girl child below 18 years will not be married, she said.
"To ensure that children get educated, I have sent suggestions to the HRD ministry that schools should be constructed near villages and from schools to houses, there should be pucca roads, and there should be proper seating arrangement, water, toilets," she said.
Education would lead to awareness through which people can benefit from schemes which the government makes for them, she said.
The minister said it was important that children should get proper facilities at schools.
Dalits were becoming aware of their rights and women were no longer weak as they were perceived to be, she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged