Education important tool for empowerment: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday advocated the need for girl`s education, saying it is an important tool for empowerment.
"Education is the most important tool for empowerment. We must educate all our children. When I say all our children, I mean every boy child and every girl child," Chidambaram said at a function organised by MCD on the occasion of Children`s Day.
Noting that the girl child is as important as a boy, he said the education of a girl is more important than that of a boy and therefore schools should give equal attention to both of them.
The minister also said the MCD is perhaps the only civic body in the country that provides education to children "fully free".
Various cultural programmes were also organised on the occasion in which around 4,000 students participated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'