Education important tool for empowerment: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday advocated the need for girl`s education, saying it is an important tool for empowerment.
"Education is the most important tool for empowerment. We must educate all our children. When I say all our children, I mean every boy child and every girl child," Chidambaram said at a function organised by MCD on the occasion of Children`s Day.
Noting that the girl child is as important as a boy, he said the education of a girl is more important than that of a boy and therefore schools should give equal attention to both of them.
The minister also said the MCD is perhaps the only civic body in the country that provides education to children "fully free".
Various cultural programmes were also organised on the occasion in which around 4,000 students participated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory