Education mins to discuss single entrance test
New Delhi: Education Ministers of states
will meet here on Wednesday to decide on the Centre`s move to hold
a single entrance test for admissions to under graduate
science and engineering programmes across the country.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal says 11 education boards in the
country have unanimously supported the move and the government
now intends to seek the views of other boards in this regard.
"The states have to come onboard now. We are going to
have a meeting of the CABE committee, state education
ministers...all these will be put before the CABE committee.
We want to have a firm resolution at that level before we
actually hold the exam," he said.
"We are attempting to do that. I can tell you for example
there was a meeting of Council of Boards of School Education
in India (COBSE) yesterday. 11 boards came for this meeting of
COBSE and all 11 boards unanimously supported this," he said.
He was responding to a question whether the single
entrance test would come into force by 2013 as planned.
Sibal said the government intends to write to other
boards in the country asking them to give their views and
explain whether they have any problem with regard to conduct
of the single test.
The proposed entrance test, Indian Science - Engineering
Eligibility Test (ISEET), is likely to be conducted in April
or May next year and will have two parts -- ISEET main and
He said the main issue of bringing about equalisation of
the Class XII marks across the boards has been sorted out by a
formula designed by the Indian Statistical Institute that
would give "more representation" to states in the IIT system.
Sibal`s comments come ahead of his crucial meeting with
State Education Ministers here tomorrow during which the issue
would be discussed thread-bare.
Sibal said he did not want to convey any misgivings
especially on the issue of equalising various results of the
state board exams.
The formula that has been derived by Indian Statistical
Institute has taken into account the results of the last five
years and have come out with specific figures.
"We are willing to make a presentation. COBSE is fully
agreeable," he said.
When pointed out that some southern states are not
agreeable to the test, he said: "Who are saying they are
averse? At the CABE committee there was unanimity. People have
to be persuaded how the equalisation is taking place. In fact,
this would give more representation to states in the IIT
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27