Education should focus on overall devpt of children: Mistri
Mumbai: Shaheen Mistri, founder of Akanksha
Foundation and Teach for India, said focus of the education
system must be overall development of children and not
"Education should not be result-driven. There is a need
to redefine the education system, which should be the overall
development of children, preparing them to lead the world and
building values and self-confidence," Shaheen told reporters.
Shaheen, one of the founding members of Teach for India
and founder of Akanksha Foundation, an NGO, undertook the task
of educating the less privileged children.
She said of late it has been noticed that more and more
poor parents too are willing to educate their children.
"As the disposable income rises they even transfer their
children to English medium schools," she added.
With regards to the Muslim community, Shaheen said,
language barrier is a problem.
Shaheen is toying with the idea of adopting `Charter
School` model followed by the USA. "The model focuses on
imparting education to lower income group of children, funding
is done by the Government and private parties run it. I feel
the model must be tested in India as well."
Akanksha, a non-profit organisation began in 1990 to
educate slum kids. She also started Teach for India in 2008, a
nationwide movement of graduates and young professionals who
for two years teach full time in under-resourced schools.
Akanksha started with educating ten children from a slum.
Today it is providing education to 3,500 children, she said
adding there are 58 Akanksha centres in Mumbai and Pune.
On the two-day Presidential Summit on Entrepreneurship
held in Washington last month, Shaheen who met President
Barack Obama said, "It highlighted the importance of
entrepreneurship, job creation and community development,
identified ways to advance economic and social
entrepreneurship," Shaheen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in