Effective deterrence cornerstone of defence policy: President
Sulur (Tamil Nadu): A force that can be deployed any time to protect sovereignty of the country is essential for effective deterrence which is the cornerstone of country`s defence policy, President Pranab Mukherjee said here on Tuesday.
Speaking at a function here to present Presidential Standard to 25 and 33 Squadron of the Indian Air Force, Mukherjee said, "India stands for peace and its foreign policy is focused on the achievement of this objective."
"Therefore, effective deterrence is the cornerstone of our defence policy. But effective deterrence requires the maintenance of a force that can be called upon at any time, to secure the sovereignty of our nation. Our armed force, of which the men and the women who stand before us, symbolises, this capability," he said.
Lauding the role of Air Force, the President said the force has not only safeguarded sovereignty of the country but also been available for providing humanitarian assistance during disaster both within and outside the nation.
"I do remember that the Air Force had flown relief supply in 2005 to a place as far as the US when Hurricane Katrina had struck New Orleans. In 2008, the Indian Air Force flew relief supplies to earthquake hit south-western province of Sichuan in China," he said.
During the ceremony, Mukherjee inspected the parade participated by 56 officers and over 400 air men. The aircraft AN32 and Dornier in small boy formation gave a flypast to the Standard.
A Presidential Standard is a flag awarded by the head of the state to a military unit. It is one of the greatest honours bestowed upon a unit or squadron in recognition of exceptional service rendered by it to the nation, both in war and peace.
25 Squadron of the Indian Air Force, known as "The Himalayan Eagles", has been the lifeline of the armed forces personnel and citizens in the Northern Frontiers for over five decades, in times of peace as well as war. The primary role of the Squadron is air maintenance in the northern sector.
It is said to be the life line of Army units posted in hostile and rugged region of Ladakh and Siachen which remain out of bounds for road traffic during winters and air dropping by AN-32s and helicopters is the only way of providing supplies. The squadron also carries out night operations in Leh region using IL76s and AN-32s.
"During the 1965 and 1971 wars and Kargil operations, the aircraft of 25 squadron had even in the face of heavy odds, airlifted critical supplies for the troops and performed some very important operations. The squadron has provided swift relief to fellow citizens in almost all natural calamities including Bhuj Earthquake and Tsunami relief," he said.
He said the Squadron has been pillar of support in providing security and succour, besides playing a critical role in development of Jammu and Kashmir and the entire Northern region.
The 33 Squadron which was inducted into the IAF in 1963, in Guwahati, served in northeast region as transport units till 1991 when it moved to Sulur in Coimbatore. Famous for its rescue role in Tangail operations in 1971, the unit also earned laurels during the 2004 tsunami.
"The 33 squadron is a premier Transport squadron of the Indian Air Force. The Squadron participated in both 1965 and 1971 wars. The Squadron played a major role in the Indian Peace Keeping Force operations in 1989," he said.
Mukherjee said after tsunami, the personnel of 33 squadron flew extensive relief operations, bringing much needed respite to the local populace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM